The health and well-being of our residents, families and staff are of utmost importance to us. To this end, we continue to closely monitor the spread of COVID-19 and implement the latest guidance from local, state and federal authorities. We are not aware of any cases of COVID-19 at our community at this time, but we are actively preparing to respond appropriately as the situation dictates.
As the World Health Organization has stated, “The fight against rumors and misinformation is a vital part of the battle against this virus.” With that in mind, we would like to share some of what we are currently doing at the community.
- In accordance with recommendations provided by the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services, we have restricted access to visitors at the Health Center which includes the Skilled Nursing and Assisted Living facility. Only essential visitors including medical professionals, hospice and other end-of-life counselors who are critical to the physical and emotional well-being of a resident will be admitted.
- In addition, we are prohibiting all non-essential visitors at this time. The only visitors who will be considered for entry into the community are government and public health officials and persons considered essential to the needs of a person in care. We have also requested that residents follow Governor Newsom’s directive to self-isolate and avoid unnecessary contact with others.
- If a resident must leave the community, they will be subject to the same screening procedures we have instituted for visitors and employees upon their return.
Cleaning and Disinfection Protocols:
We have reviewed our protocols and increased the frequency of cleaning and disinfection throughout the community. Particular attention is being paid to the “high-touch” areas throughout the community, including but not limited to:
- Elevator doors.
- Elevator buttons.
- Door knobs.
- Computer lab equipment.
- Fitness machines, free weights, yoga mats and other gym equipment.
- Public restrooms.
- Spa and relaxation centers.
In addition, signage is posted at entrance points throughout the community. The signage is intended to remind residents, visitors and staff to practice safe habits, including to wash and sanitize their hands frequently, cover their cough, refrain from shaking hands and hugging, and avoid social interaction when not feeling well.
We also continue to evaluate our Food & Beverage program. Some recent changes include:
- Discontinuing all buffet service for residents.
- Providing prepared-to-order as well as pre-wrapped “grab and go” food items for residents.
- Food can be delivered to a resident’s home if needed.
- Discontinuing buffet service for employees in their break rooms. We are providing individually wrapped, pre-made food items for our staff.
- Frequent cleaning and removal of used items during morning coffee service. Individually wrapped pastries rather than pastry trays are being served.
- We are following the guidelines for large events established by Governor Newsom and have discontinued hosting any large, on-site events.
- All resident activities and events have been canceled.
- All resident excursions to museums, theaters and other large venues still open to the public have also been canceled.
Employee Safety Protocols:
- Our team members are required to follow the same health and travel protocols asked of residents and visitors. Frequent handwashing and use of hand sanitizer are a requirement.
- Employees have been directed to stay home if they are not feeling well.
- Employees at the Health Center must sign in for every shift and respond to our questionnaire each time with regard to their health. This protocol will continue for the foreseeable future.
- Employees are required to sign in and sign out using their own pens to avoid contamination. Moreover, as knowledgeable front-line workers and as part of our community culture, employees are encouraged to offer their own ideas for managing the virus in the workplace.
Additional health and safety measures are being developed and will be implemented in response to the evolving nature of the virus. If you have any questions about the health and safety measures we are taking here at The Glen, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.